Skip to content
Goldey Beacom Logo

Meet the Team!

GBC’s VA School Certifying Officials, Deb Harbaugh, Senior Advisor/Special Accommodations Coordinator, and Amanda Birch, Senior Advisor, are fully trained and qualified to assist student Veterans and Service members with academic counseling, including course registration and program selection, and graduation tracking through degree completion.

Mrs. Harbaugh also coordinates student support services for academic accommodations and disability counseling. We are dedicated to supporting our student veterans and service members from the day they join Goldey-Beacom College through graduation and beyond. More information regarding services to veterans and military students can be found here.

Deb Headshot 03092023

Deb Harbaugh

Primary School Certifying Official (SCO)


Senior Advisor/Student Accommodation Coordinator


Amanda Birch

School Certifying Official (SCO)


Senior Advisor


Mark McGuire

Financial Aid Counselor


Are you eligible to receive military or veteran’s benefits?

Our Advisors are available to support Service members and eligible beneficiaries as they transition from military life to college life.

Job search activities and career placement is also available through our Career Services Department, who can be reached at [email protected].

Types of Aid for Service Members and Veterans

Chapter 30: Montgomery GI Bill Active Duty

Chapter 30 provides up to 36 months of education benefits to eligible veterans. If you are currently in service, you may be eligible after 2 years of active duty.

Chapter 31: Vocational Readiness & Employment (VR&E)

Chapter 31 is a program designed to help veterans with service-connected disabilities become suitably employed, maintain employment, or achieve independence in daily living.

Chapter 33: Post 9/11 GI Bill/Yellow Ribbon

Chapter 33 provides financial support for education and housing to individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service after September 10, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days. You must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible for Chapter 33. This benefit provides up to 36 months of education benefits and benefits can be transferred to dependents. Some of the benefits of the Post- 9/11 GI Bill go towards tuition and fees, a monthly housing allowance, books and supplies, and a one-time rural benefit payment.

Chapter 35: Dependents of Eligible Veterans

The Dependents’ Educational Assistance (DEA) Program provides benefits to the spouse and children, including step-children and adopted children, of veterans who died in the defense of the United States or who were completely and permanently disabled due to injuries sustained while on active duty.

Chapter 1606: Montgomery GI Bill Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR)

The Montgomery GI Bill Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR) program offers up to 36 months of education and training benefits. If you’re a member of the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps or Coast Guard Reserve, Army National Guard, or Air National Guard, you may be eligible for this benefit.

Chapter 1607: Reverse Educational Assistance Program (REAP)

REAP (Chapter 1607 of title 10, U.S. Code) Reverse Educational Assistance Program provides up to 36 months of
education benefits to members of the Selected Reserves, Individual Ready Reserve (IRR), and
National Guard, who are called or ordered to active service in response to a war or national
emergency, as declared by the President or Congress.

Tuition Assistance (TA)

Military Tuition Assistance (TA) is a source of financial aid for active duty military. Each Service branch determines eligibility. Tuition Assistance covers up to 100% Tuition and Fees, not to exceed $250.00 per semester credit hour or $4,500.00 per fiscal year.

All Active Duty Service Members (including Guard and Reserve) must contact their Education Services Officer (ESO) or Education Counselor within your branch of Service prior to enrolling in any college or university.

To access the Tuition Assistance Application Procedures for each Military Services, please click the branch of Service below.

When a prospective student calls, emails or applies for acceptance to GBC and mentions military benefits, our Admissions Representative will notify the Advisor to contact the prospective student prior to enrolling the student in courses. If the Advisor determines the prospective student is eligible for Tuition Assistance, they will be instructed to seek approval from their ESO, military counselor or Service prior to enrollment. If the Advisor determines the student is eligible for Veteran Benefits through Chapter 30, Chapter 31, Chapter 33, Chapter 35, or Chapter 1606, the student will be required to provide DD-214 and Certificate of Eligibility, or a screen shot of the VA benefits page, prior to the Advisor certifying enrollment. The Advisor may reserve a seat in a course or courses pending receipt of required documentation. The Service Member must request Military TA and receive approval prior to the start date of the course(s), or the Service Member may be responsible for the full tuition cost of the course(s).

Should the Service Member withdraw from course(s) after receiving TA funds, the College will return the unearned TA funds directly to the Military Service, not to the Service Member, according to the Return of Unearned TA Funds Policy

Financial Aid

Our Financial Aid Office provides information and guides students through the financial aid process, such as the completion of financial aid forms. Financial Aid Counselors receive annual financial aid training and are well versed on financial aid policies. Advisors and Financial Aid Counselors are available during normal business hours to assist all students as well as veterans, military students, and military family members enrolled at GBC.

Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)

All veterans and military students are encouraged to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid to determine eligibility for federal grants and loans. This aid could be in addition to any tuition assistance received from the various veterans benefits programs or Tuition Assistance programs for active military and their family members.

An interested student can access the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

To learn more about the federal grant and loan programs available to eligible students at Goldey-Beacom College, visit the How Financial Aid Works webpage.

The College’s Admissions Office awards scholarship funding to an eligible student upon acceptance into a degree program.

Service Member’s and Reservist’s Re-Entry To GBC

Goldey-Beacom College understands that Service Members and Reservists are at times called away from their studies and supports military students by providing an easy transition to re-enroll. If a Service Member is temporarily unable to attend classes or has to suspend their studies due to service requirements, the student should contact their Advisor, see “Meet the Team!” above, for assistance. The student should also submit a Leave of Absence Form to the Registrar’s Office ([email protected]). In support of our Service Members and Reservists, enrolled students are not penalized for a leave of absence when military duty is required, they will be promptly readmitted at the same academic status upon re-entry.

Veterans Resource Group

The Veterans Resource Group (“VRG”) supports our Active Duty, Veterans, and Service members’ families here at GBC. We discuss military relevant topics, like veteran benefits, and share resources available that support our military students.  All veterans, service members and families are welcome, as well as students interested in the military. We meet monthly during the common hour on Thursdays.

For more information, please contact Deb Harbaugh.

Submit An Application

Ready to begin your journey?

Complete a free application today.

Goldey Beacom Logo
4701 Limestone Road
Wilmington, DE 19808
(302) 998-8814

Goldey-Beacom College is a Equal Opportunity Employer/Program. Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities.

Text Telephone/Teletypewriter (TTY) Relay Service: 711 or 800-232-5460 for English or 877-335-7595 for Spanish